The first Catholic temple in Aibonito was built in 1825. Its walls were made of wood, the floor was laid out in bricks and the roof was made of Spanish tiles. The building was replaced by the current temple which was started in 1887 and completed in 1897. One hundred years later (1997) the temple was restored and a major effort was invested in maintaining its original design.
The altar is a magnificent example of Spanish barroque craftsmanship. It was made of wood and plaster and these were laminated in gold.
The tradition of paying homage to the mother of Christ is strong in Aibonito. The image of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the clothing with which it is dressed has a long history among aiboniteños.